.

Popular Posts

16 April 2023

The first Sunday of Eastertide, also known as Low Sunday and also the third Sunday of April so our service at 10 am was Matins. Joanna was having a well deserved day off today so we had a said service, but our friend Sylvia came and played the piano for the hymns. 

The story of Thomas, and his meeting with the resurrected Jesus was our second reading, and Father Chris talked about this story in his sermon. Thomas is easy for us to identify with, I'll believe it when I see it, but as Jesus said how much more blessed are those who believe but have not seen!

There was coffee after the service.

On Friday the 21st of April Bishop Will is coming to St Marys for a Confirmation. We have 10 candidates, please pray for them this week, and the service will be at 7:30 and all are welcome to come.











 






10am Matins

Acts 2:14a,2232

A reading from the acts of the Apostles.

On the day of Pentecost,

Peter, standing with the eleven, 
raised his voice and addressed the crowd,

 ‘You that are Israelites, 
listen to what I have to say: 
Jesus of Nazareth, 
a man attested to you by God with deeds of power, wonders, and signs 
that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know— 

this man, handed over to you 
according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, 
you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law. 

But God raised him up, having freed him from death, 
because it was impossible for him to be held in its power. 

For David says concerning him,
“I saw the Lord always before me,
for he is at my right hand so that I will not be shaken;

therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
moreover, my flesh will live in hope.

For you will not abandon my soul to Hades,
or let your Holy One experience corruption.

You have made known to me the ways of life;
you will make me full of gladness with your presence.”

‘Fellow Israelites, 
I may say to you confidently of our ancestor David 
that he both died and was buried, 
and his tomb is with us to this day. 

Since he was a prophet, 
he knew that God had sworn with an oath to him 
that he would put one of his descendants on his throne. 

Foreseeing this, 
David spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, saying,
“He was not abandoned to Hades,
nor did his flesh experience corruption.”

This Jesus God raised up, 
and of that all of us are witnesses. 


1 Peter 1:3-9

A reading from the first letter of Peter.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! 
By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope 
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 

and into an inheritance 
that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, 
kept in heaven for you, 

who are being protected by the power of God through faith 
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 

In this you rejoice, 
even if now for a little while 
you have had to suffer various trials, 

so that the genuineness of your faith—
being more precious than gold that, 
though perishable, is tested by fire—
may be found to result in praise and glory and honour 
when Jesus Christ is revealed. 

Although you have not seen him, you love him; 
and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him 
and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, 

for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, 
the salvation of your souls.


John 20:19-31

Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John.

When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, 
and the doors of the house where the disciples had met 
were locked for fear of the Jews, 
Jesus came and stood among them and said, 
‘Peace be with you.’ 

After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. 
Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 

Jesus said to them again, 
‘Peace be with you. 
As the Father has sent me, so I send you.’ 

When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, 
‘Receive the Holy Spirit. 

If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; 
if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’

But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, 
was not with them when Jesus came. 

So the other disciples told him, 
‘We have seen the Lord.’ 
But he said to them, 
‘Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, 
and put my finger in the mark of the nails 
and my hand in his side, 
I will not believe.’

A week later his disciples were again in the house, 
and Thomas was with them. 
Although the doors were shut, 
Jesus came and stood among them and said, 
‘Peace be with you.’ 

Then he said to Thomas, 
‘Put your finger here and see my hands. 
Reach out your hand and put it in my side. 
Do not doubt but believe.’ 

Thomas answered him, 
‘My Lord and my God!’ 

Jesus said to him, 
‘Have you believed because you have seen me? 
Blessed are those who have not seen 
and yet have come to believe.’

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, 
which are not written in this book. 

But these are written so that you may come to believe 
that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, 
and that through believing you may have life in his name.


10 am Matins

Acts 2:14a, 22-32

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them,

22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.


John 20:19-31

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Service Times

First Sunday in the Month:
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Family Service

Second Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Third Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Sung Matins in the Church or Crafty Communion in Church Hall

Fourth Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Variations can be found in the Parish Magazine or the Calendar at the bottom of this page.

Blog Archive

Archived posts by year: