.

Popular Posts

15 January 2023
As we have already reached the third Sunday in January our 10 am service was Matins this morning.
We sang the Canticles and Psalm 40, and some Epiphany hymns. The Choir sang 'The Lamb' words by William Blake and Setting by John Tavener as the anthem. For more information about this and other works sung in our services look at our Music blog.
There was coffee after the service.
This February we see the return of our National themed evenings, on  Saturday the 4th of February
we will be having a Uzbekistan meal ! Come and try some central Asian food, it's delicious! Tickets available from the Church Wardens £15 each.




 

8am service

Isaiah 49:1-7

A reading from the book of the prophet Isaiah

Listen to me, O coastlands,
pay attention, you peoples from far away!
The Lord called me before I was born,
while I was in my mother’s womb he named me.

He made my mouth like a sharp sword,
in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
he made me a polished arrow,
in his quiver he hid me away.

And he said to me, ‘You are my servant,
Israel, in whom I will be glorified.’

But I said, ‘I have laboured in vain,
I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity;
yet surely my cause is with the Lord,
and my reward with my God.’

And now the Lord says,
who formed me in the womb to be his servant,
to bring Jacob back to him,
and that Israel might be gathered to him,
for I am honoured in the sight of the Lord,
and my God has become my strength—

The Lord says,
‘It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
to raise up the tribes of Jacob
and to restore the survivors of Israel;
I will give you as a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.’

Thus says the Lord,
the Redeemer of Israel and his Holy One,
to one deeply despised, abhorred by the nations, the slave of rulers,
‘Kings shall see and stand up,
princes, and they shall prostrate themselves,
because of the Lord, who is faithful,
the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.’


1 Corinthians 1:1-9

A reading from the first letter of Paul to the Corinthians.

From Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus 
by the will of God, 
and our brother Sosthenes,

To the church of God that is in Corinth, 
to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, 
called to be saints, 
together with all those who in every place 
call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
both their Lord and ours:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father 
and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I give thanks to my God always for you 
because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, 

for in every way you have been enriched in him, 
in speech and knowledge of every kind— 

just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you— 

so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift 
as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

He will also strengthen you to the end, 
so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

God is faithful; 
by him you were called 
into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.


John 1:29-42

Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John.

John nthe Baptist saw Jesus coming towards him 
and declared, 
‘Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 

This is he of whom I said, 
“After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me 
because he was before me.” 

I myself did not know him; 
but I came baptizing with water for this reason, 
that he might be revealed to Israel.’ 

And John testified, 
‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, 
and it remained on him. 

I myself did not know him, 
but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 
“He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain 
is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.” 

And I myself have seen and have testified 
that this is the Son of God.’

The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, 

and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, 
‘Look, here is the Lamb of God!’ 

The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. 

When Jesus turned and saw them following, he said to them, 
‘What are you looking for?’ 
They said to him, ‘Rabbi’ 
(which translated means Teacher), 
‘where are you staying?’ 

He said to them, ‘Come and see.’ 
They came and saw where he was staying, 
and they remained with him that day. 
It was about four o’clock in the afternoon. 

One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, 
Simon Peter’s brother. 

He first found his brother Simon and said to him, 
‘We have found the Messiah’ 
(which is translated Anointed). 

He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, 
‘You are Simon son of John. 
You are to be called Cephas’
 (which is translated Peter).


Matins 10am

Isaiah 49:1-7

1 Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.

2 And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;

3 And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.

4 Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God.

5 And now, saith the LORD that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and my God shall be my strength.

6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

7 Thus saith the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the LORD that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.


John 1:29-42

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.

31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

35 Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples;

36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus.

38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?

39 He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour.

40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.

41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

Service Times

First Sunday in the Month:
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Family Service

Second Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Third Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Sung Matins in the Church or Crafty Communion in Church Hall

Fourth Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Variations can be found in the Parish Magazine or the Calendar at the bottom of this page.

Blog Archive

Archived posts by year: