.

Popular Posts

23 October 2022
We went into church with pouring rain, but those of us who park by the Parish Rooms were met by a splendid view of mushrooms.  No idea of what kind, and probably not edible but amazing none the less.


The children's Harvest work was on display in the church.



As was the flower arrangers.


Fr Chris spoke to us based on the Gospel reading, which tells us of the repentant sinner and the boastful pharisee. I hope I have captured the gist of what he said. The parable goes much deeper. It addresses our perception of who we are in relation to God. God chooses us because he loves us, demonstrated by the sacrifice of his Son for us. We often resist his love and run from him. Maybe it is because we are scared of what God will ask of us. St Augustine famously said "God make me pure - but not just yet!"  God's love is unique to each of us. We are seen alone - not in comparison to others. We are loved equally. We may try to make ourselves feel better by comparing ourselves with another preceived to be worse than us. We need to see ourselves in the parables. It is folly to compare ourselves in faith. God sees all. We should concern ourselves with what we can do with the gifts he has given us. We are sinners who need God's mercy and forgiveness.

Today the Sunday School were busy making Bible Covers and obviously were so involved in the project that after church they went back to work.




During Communion, the sun came out and we left church in brilliant sunshine.

Don't forget the Requiem Service next Saturday 29th October at 6pm. If you would like someone to be remembered during this service there are sheets at the back of the church, add the name(s). Fr Chris will pray for these people during the service. The choir and singing friends will, as part of the service, perform Faure's Requiem, the first time we have been able to do so since 2019 due to Covid.


Jeremiah 14:7-10, 19-22

A reading from the book of the Prophet Jeremiah.

Although our iniquities testify against us,
act, O Lord, for your name’s sake;
our apostasies indeed are many,
and we have sinned against you.

O hope of Israel, its saviour in time of trouble,
why should you be like a stranger in the land,
like a traveller turning aside for the night?

Why should you be like someone confused,
like a mighty warrior who cannot give help?
Yet you, O Lord, are in the midst of us,
and we are called by your name;
do not forsake us!

Thus says the Lord concerning this people:
Truly they have loved to wander,
they have not restrained their feet;
therefore the Lord does not accept them,
now he will remember their iniquity and punish their sins.

Have you completely rejected Judah?
Does your heart loathe Zion?
Why have you struck us down
so that there is no healing for us?
We look for peace, but find no good;
for a time of healing, but there is terror instead.

We acknowledge our wickedness, O Lord,
the iniquity of our ancestors,
for we have sinned against you.

Do not spurn us, for your name’s sake;
do not dishonour your glorious throne;
remember and do not break your covenant with us.

Can any idols of the nations bring rain?
Or can the heavens give showers?
Is it not you, O Lord our God?
We set our hope on you,
for it is you who do all this.


2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18

A reading from the second letter of Paul to Timothy.

As for me, 
I am already being poured out as a libation, 
and the time of my departure has come. 

I have fought the good fight, 
I have finished the race, 
I have kept the faith. 

From now on 
there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, 
which the Lord, the righteous judge, 
will give to me on that day, 
and not only to me 
but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

At my first defence no one came to my support, 
but all deserted me. 
May it not be counted against them! 

But the Lord stood by me 
and gave me strength, 
so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed 
and all the Gentiles might hear it. 
So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 

The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack 
and save me for his heavenly kingdom. 
To him be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.


Luke 18:9-14

Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Luke.

Jesus also told this parable to some 
who trusted in themselves that they were righteous 
and regarded others with contempt: 

‘Two men went up to the temple to pray, 
one a Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. 

The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, 
“God, I thank you that I am not like other people: 
thieves, rogues, adulterers, 
or even like this tax-collector. 

I fast twice a week; 
I give a tenth of all my income.” 

But the tax-collector, standing far off, 
would not even look up to heaven, 
but was beating his breast and saying, 
“God, be merciful to me, a sinner!” 

I tell you, 
this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; 
for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, 
but all who humble themselves will be exalted.’


Matins

Genesis 32:22-31

22 And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.

23 And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had.

24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.

26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.

28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.

30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

31 And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh.


Luke 18:1-8

1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

2 Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:

3 And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.

4 And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;

5 Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.

6 And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.

7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Service Times

First Sunday in the Month:
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Family Service

Second Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Third Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Sung Matins in the Church or Crafty Communion in Church Hall

Fourth Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Variations can be found in the Parish Magazine or the Calendar at the bottom of this page.

Blog Archive

Archived posts by year: