.

Popular Posts

18 September 2022
A bright sunny morning welcomed us today. The Platinum Jubilee bench for Queen Elizabeth had been moved closer to the door and was covered in floral tibutes.  Fr Chris told us he had been to Sidlesham school and had discussed Queen Elizabeth and what it meant to die. Later the children had taken flowers and put them on the bench.


In church there is a memorial book for people to sign and next to it candles if you wish to light one.  This will be closed tomorrow.  There is a service for the Queen at 6pm this evening, the timing the same all over the country. Also we are looking for volunteers to help toll the bell between 10 and 11am tomorrow.


The Sunday School were busy as usual making picture with PVA glue, salt and watercolours.




Jeremiah 8:18-9:1

A reading from the boook of the prophet Jeremiah.

The word of the Lord through the prophet:

My joy is gone, grief is upon me,
my heart is sick.

Hark, the cry of my poor people from far and wide in the land:
‘Is the Lord not in Zion?
Is her King not in her?’
(‘Why have they provoked me to anger with their images,
with their foreign idols?’)

‘The harvest is past, the summer is ended,
and we are not saved.’

For the hurt of my poor people I am hurt,
I mourn, and dismay has taken hold of me.

Is there no balm in Gilead?
Is there no physician there?
Why then has the health of my poor people not been restored?

O that my head were a spring of water,
and my eyes a fountain of tears,
so that I might weep day and night
for the slain of my poor people!

King James Version for Matins

18 When I would comfort myself against sorrow, my heart is faint in me.

19 Behold the voice of the cry of the daughter of my people because of them that dwell in a far country: Is not the LORD in Zion? is not her king in her? Why have they provoked me to anger with their graven images, and with strange vanities?

20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.

21 For the hurt of the daughter of my people am I hurt; I am black; astonishment hath taken hold on me.

22 Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there? why then is not the health of the daughter of my people recovered?

1 Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night for the slain of the daughter of my people!


1 Timothy 2:1-7 (not 10am)

A reading from the first letter of paul to Timothy.

My dearly beloved,

Urge that supplications, prayers, 
intercessions, and thanksgivings should be made for everyone,

for kings and all who are in high positions, 
so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life 
in all godliness and dignity. 

This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour, 

who desires everyone to be saved 
and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 

For there is one God;
there is also one mediator between God and humankind,
Christ Jesus, himself human,

who gave himself a ransom for all —
this was attested at the right time. 

For this I was appointed a herald and an apostle 
(I am telling the truth, I am not lying), 
a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.


Luke 16:1-13

Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to Luke.

Jesus said to the disciples, 
‘There was a rich man who had a manager, 
and charges were brought to him 
that this man was squandering his property. 

So he summoned him and said to him, 
“What is this that I hear about you? 
Give me an account of your management, 
because you cannot be my manager any longer.” 

Then the manager said to himself, 
“What will I do, 
now that my master is taking the position away from me? 
I am not strong enough to dig, 
and I am ashamed to beg. 

I have decided what to do so that, 
when I am dismissed as manager, 
people may welcome me into their homes.” 

So, summoning his master’s debtors one by one, 
he asked the first, 
“How much do you owe my master?” 

He answered, “A hundred jugs of olive oil.” 
He said to him, 
“Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it fifty.” 

Then he asked another, “And how much do you owe?” 
He replied, “A hundred containers of wheat.” 
He said to him, “Take your bill and make it eighty.” 

And his master commended the dishonest manager 
because he had acted shrewdly; 
for the children of this age are more shrewd 
in dealing with their own generation 
than are the children of light. 

And I tell you, 
make friends for yourselves by means of dishonest wealth
so that when it is gone, 
they may welcome you into the eternal homes.

‘Whoever is faithful in a very little 
is faithful also in much; 
and whoever is dishonest in a very little 
is dishonest also in much. 

If then you have not been faithful with the dishonest wealth,
who will entrust to you the true riches? 

And if you have not been faithful with what belongs to another, 
who will give you what is your own? 

No slave can serve two masters; 
for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, 
or be devoted to the one and despise the other. 
You cannot serve God and wealth.’

King James Version for Matins

1 And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.

2 And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.

3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.

4 I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.

5 So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?

6 And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.

7 Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.

8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.

11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?

13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Service Times

First Sunday in the Month:
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Family Service

Second Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Third Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Sung Matins in the Church or Crafty Communion in Church Hall

Fourth Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Variations can be found in the Parish Magazine or the Calendar at the bottom of this page.

Blog Archive

Archived posts by year: