.

Popular Posts

15 May 2022
This morning our 10 am service was Mattins, taken by Father Roger. We came to Church through some welcome rain, which we have not seen for weeks, so many gardeners gave thanks!
We said the Canticles and psalm as we did not have Joanna with us this week but Sylvia kindly played the Hymns again.
The Banns were read for three couples who will marry at St Marys this summer, and our prayers and good wishes go to them as they prepare.

Still looking for some Car Park attendants for the Fete!

There was coffee after the service.

Next week at 10 am we will be doing our Rogation walk, hopefully in dry weather. Father John will lead us around the surrounding area of the church and we will bless all Gods lands and creatures. This is an enjoyable walk, starting and finishing in the Church, with a visit to some local inhabitants, It is not a great distance but some of it is over uneven ground so stout footwear is recommended! 









8 am Holy Communion 

Acts 11:1-18

A reading from the Acts of the Apostles.

Te apostles and the believers who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles 
had also accepted the word of God. 

So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, 
the circumcised believers criticized him, saying, 

‘Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them?’ 

Then Peter began to explain it to them, step by step, saying, 

‘I was in the city of Joppa praying, 
and in a trance I saw a vision. 
There was something like a large sheet coming down from heaven, 
being lowered by its four corners; 
and it came close to me. 

As I looked at it closely I saw four-footed animals, 
beasts of prey, reptiles, and birds of the air. 

I also heard a voice saying to me, 
“Get up, Peter; kill and eat.”

But I replied, 
“By no means, Lord; 
for nothing profane or unclean has ever entered my mouth.” 

But a second time the voice answered from heaven, 
“What God has made clean, you must not call profane.” 

This happened three times; 
then everything was pulled up again to heaven. 

At that very moment three men, 
sent to me from Caesarea, arrived at the house where we were. 

The Spirit told me to go with them 
and not to make a distinction between them and us. 
These six brothers also accompanied me, 
and we entered the man’s house. 

He told us how he had seen the angel standing in his house and saying, 
“Send to Joppa and bring Simon, who is called Peter; 

he will give you a message by which you and your entire household will be saved.” 

And as I began to speak, 
the Holy Spirit fell upon them 
just as it had upon us at the beginning. 

And I remembered the word of the Lord, 
how he had said, “John baptized with water, 
but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” 

If then God gave them the same gift 
that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, 
who was I that I could hinder God?’ 

When they heard this, they were silenced. 
And they praised God, saying, 
‘Then God has given even to the Gentiles the repentance that leads to life.’


John 13:31-35

Hear the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ according to John.

During the supper, when Judas had gone out,Jesus said, 
‘Now the Son of Man has been glorified, 
and God has been glorified in him. 

If God has been glorified in him, 
God will also glorify him in himself 
and will glorify him at once. 

Little children, I am with you only a little longer. 
You will look for me; 
and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, 
“Where I am going, you cannot come.” 

I give you a new commandment, 
that you love one another. 
Just as I have loved you, 
you also should love one another. 

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, 
if you have love for one another.’


10am Matins

A reading from the second book of Samuel.

4And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying,

5Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in?

6Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the children of Israel out of Egypt, even to this day, but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle.

7In all the places wherein I have walked with all the children of Israel spake I a word with any of the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to feed my people Israel, saying, Why build ye not me an house of cedar?

8Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel:

9And I was with thee whithersoever thou wentest, and have cut off all thine enemies out of thy sight, and have made thee a great name, like unto the name of the great men that are in the earth.

10Moreover I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime,

11And as since the time that I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused thee to rest from all thine enemies. Also the LORD telleth thee that he will make thee an house.

12And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.

13He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.


Acts 2:14, 22-32

A reading from the Acts of the Apostles.

14But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them: ‘Men of Judea and all who live in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and listen to what I say. 

22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

24Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

25For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

26Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

27Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

28Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

29Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

30Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
 

Service Times

First Sunday in the Month:
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Family Service

Second Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Third Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Sung Matins in the Church or Crafty Communion in Church Hall

Fourth Sunday in the Month
08:00am Holy Communion
10:00am Parish Eucharist

Variations can be found in the Parish Magazine or the Calendar at the bottom of this page.

Useful links


Here are some links to resources you may find helpful:


  1. Chichester Cathedral will be live streaming services. For the Eucharist and order of service Click here before 10:00am Sunday and follow the instructions.
  2. The BBC Daily Service is available here.
  3. Prayer for today.
  4. The C of E youtube channel.
  5. Hearing You is a new phone help line launched by the Diocese of Chichester in partnership with Together in Sussex in response to the impact that Covid 19 has had on Just about the whole community. It aims to provide pastoral support and a listening ear to the recently bereaved and people directly affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.
  6. COVID-19 advice from the Diocese of Chichester here.

Please note that St Mary's are not responsible for the contents of external links

Blog Archive

Archived posts by year: